Free store pickup is now available
Is My Hive Ready to Split?
Your hive should have the following things before you try to make a split:
- No brood diseases
- At least 6 frames full frames of brood (eggs, larva & capped brood all count as brood) and more than 6 frames covered front and back with bees. A “full frame of brood” would be considered a deep frame that is at least ⅔ full on both sides with either eggs, larva, or capped brood, or a combination of all stages. Generally you want to have a mixture of all stages in a split.
- At least 4 frames of honey, or you are feeding heavily.
- Varroa mites are under control and you don’t have an infestation spiraling out of control.
- Your hive is generally healthy & growing with no apparent issues.
- At least 1 cumulative frame worth of stored pollen.